Re: [ide-dev] Cross-platform free Visual Studio

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Yeah, but it’s things like quick editors for new languages that really should be part of the open source platform as well. Just the other day I was yearning for a JSX editor (_javascript_ with embedded XML used by React.js). The fact that Xtext is open and a simple editor description language isn't is a bit awkward.

We’ll have to find someone who gets paid to work on Eclipse to do it, or someone who sees the value to do it for their own work enough to do it for that and then contribute it since they’ve already done it or are looking for help. Maybe starting with CodeMirror or Brackets, which must make it easy to add new languages because they support a bazillion of them. At least their model doesn’t require a revenue stream.

​Well,
​ as I said,​
in due time I may make that part open source too (but right now it's too early for me to do that).​ Still, if you find someone who'd be willing to pay to make it open source and keep me working on it, that works too
​-- surely someone hiring a programmer to do it would spend much more to get to what's already available on LiClipse ​
​(on its crowdfunding, my intent was making it open source, but unfortunately I failed to attract enough interest to reach that target).​

​Cheers,

Fabio​

Back to the top