Re: [ide-dev] Yet another article advising to leave Eclispe

Am 16.10.2014 um 01:32 schrieb Stephan Herrmann <stephan.herrmann@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 10/15/2014 09:20 PM, Marcel Bruch wrote:
Well, while there is no immediate solution, every project should consider the use of classes like Guava’s or Java 8 Optional.
With that we could decrease the number of error reports by up to 10.7% ;)

Thanks for the numbers.
We know this was a billion dollar mistake.
Let's fix it:
https://www.eclipsecon.org/europe2014/session/deep-dive-void-advanced-null-type-annotations-35-minute-standard-talk

:)

Stephan

FWIW,

1. according to last 7 days dashboard [1] NPEs are even the most frequently reported exceptions.
2. It would be great if JDT Core and JDT UI would start rewriting their own codebase  and annotate every method it with @Nullable, @NonNullable etc.

To some extend this can be automated. We’d need to see to which though.
If this works reliably, I’d recommend to run the same analysis on every Eclipse project and create a patch set for every project.

Just saying. Stephan, maybe you would be interested to do this - as a further proof of concept of JDT’s ability to prevent NPEs efficiently?
I’d happily share the locations I get NPEs for evaluation purpose :-)

Marcel