Re: [ide-dev] How to encourage contributions and what kind of contributions?

Szymon,

this is very interesting. It reminds me how different cultures are.
I never thought to put any kind of diploma or certificate in
a visible place. But you are right, things like this are important
in some environments and do motivate people!

Michael

On 2014-05-31 8:19, Szymon Ptaszkiewicz wrote:
I agree, it is all about personal commitments. And when I read your email,
it seemed to be obvious that if there is a need for personal commitment,
there should a way for personal reward.

At the moment we promote only, as far as I know, top
committer/contributor/evangelist/etc., but that means there is only a small
group of people rewarded personally each year, usually already well-known
in the Eclipse world. But there is a huge number of committers or regular,
valuable contributors out there who do good job but usually are not
rewarded in any way (well, maybe in acknowledgements notes at the time or
release, but who really reads it carefully?). You can't tell who is a
committer unless you take a look at eclipse.org pages and look for a
specific name. If being a committer/valuable contributor is an honour and
privilege then why don't we promote it in a visible way?

How about some sort certification for committers and/or valuable
contributors issued by EF?

A new committer could get a certificate stating something along the lines
that this is to certify that John Smith is an Eclipse committer in project
XYZ, with a signature of the EF director so that it is official and
professional but cool at the same time. Something that a committer could
put on the wall above his desk so that his colleagues at work can be
jealous about. Valuable contributors could also receive a certificate or
even email saying that the EF and the community would like to thank John
Smith for his valuable contributions to the XYZ project.

Instead of motivating a company to contribute, we could motivate
individuals to do that and reward them in some visible way they can be
proud of and show off in front of their manager, colleagues, etc. And even
if their company doesn't follow, we likely get a bunch of jealous
developers desperately wanting to get a cool certificate ;-) If we can't
use a stick, we need to make sure the carrot is big enough and the word
will spread itself.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but each company is made
of individuals and if individual developers/architects/managers/CEOs are
not convinced by Eclipse projects and Eclipse itself, then there is no way
a company will invest anything in it.

Szymon