[ide-dev] Charset questions for the surges

Ian,

Here is another question I’d like to have an answer for:

Question: Character Encoding
-----------------
Currently the Eclipse IDE does open text files with the system encoding by default. This is likely different on Windows, Linux and MacOS. Thus, users editing text files on different environments need to configure the same encoding.

Some users have requested that the file encoding should be UTF-8 by default, while others would like to keep the current setting. If set to UTF-8 by default, all text editors would open text files using that encoding on all platforms-

To serve our users best, we would like to know what the majority of the users desires. Therefore please vote based on your preference.

The Eclipse IDE should use UTF-8 encoding by default for all text files:

1.) Yes
2.) No

-Gunnar

--