From: ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ide-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mickael Istria
Sent: November-19-13 9:27 AM
To: ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] Getting feedback on IDE

On 11/19/2013 09:16 AM, Daniel Megert wrote:

I agree with Doug, that it shouldn't be in the IDE. If it's in the IDE and is too prominent (e.g. on each start), then everyone will disable it. If it is at some other place like invoking p2, all users that just install an EPP will never see it.

Even funnier would be a custom Job ProgressMonitor dialog. So that whenever a long operation pops-up, the user can answer a few question to spend time. Of course, this need to be configurable so RCP wouldn't have this activated.

Another drawback is that we want feedback *now*. If this is done via IDE then it will take a long time until this is implemented and actually consumed by our users. Not to mention the "calling home" issue.

That's true. It's impossible to make it part of IDE before June (in best case), so a web page currently seems to be the only valid entry-point to leverage feedback soon.

I like the idea of showing it along with the download (page).

+1, that seems to be what makes the most sense.

We could make the survey page static (e.g. yourInput.eclipse.org or surveys.eclipse.org) and widely advertise it, so that people can also come there without downloading. An RSS feed could inform about new questions-

+1

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat