Re: [ide-dev] IDE working group [WAS: Improving Eclipse JDT - Ecosystem]

I thought that's part of the scope of the IDEWG, no? The IDEWG has a "wishlist" of items. Some items might span across multiple projects. Those need to be broken down to allow projects to understand the work/contribution that is coming to them and also to define some of the acceptance criteria for that. Once this mediation has been done, work can be started by the IDEWG.

-Gunnar

Am 16.10.2013 um 16:27 schrieb Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx>:

My real point on that is that projects don't look out for the common good, they look out for their own good. My concern is with consistency between the projects. I have projects in my workspace that use Java, _javascript_, HTML, CSS, and C++ in them (client/server mobile and web apps). My dream is that you seamlessly go from one language to another without having a huge paradigm shift (like a every language having it's own perspective). Until I see WTP and CDT projects (for example) working together to achieve consistency, we need something to help guide them in that direction.

But that is independent of the WG proposal.

Doug.

From: Gunnar Wagenknecht <gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 16 October, 2013 8:02 AM
To: Discussions about the IDE <ide-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ide-dev] IDE working group [WAS: Improving Eclipse JDT - Ecosystem]

Am 16.10.2013 um 13:45 schrieb Marcel Bruch <marcel.bruch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Summing up, the existing team of committers and the project leads (for a project contributed to) would (IMHO) still be the authority that decides what goes in or doesn't.

Yes, exactly. That's an important point. The IDEWG has to reach out to projects in order to align the "wishlist" with their plans and to discuss/clear any road blocks for upcoming contributions. Thus, the IDEWG also need to do some proper planning.

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht
gunnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx