Re: [ide-dev] Improving Eclipse JDT - Ecosystem

Am 14.10.2013 um 07:49 schrieb Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> That's indeed a nice improvement. However, this looks an Eclipse extension, and most people complaining about Eclipse complain about the vanilla JDT behaviour. How this tool will help people who even don't make an effort to find out whether what they complain about can be improved/replaced?
> Anything that is not part of the IDE packages is actually not a valid solution for the "lambda" Eclipse user who just takes the package and starts coding. If you want such improvements to really be used and help end-users, they should rather happen inside JDT, or get shipped as part of the EPP packages.
> If moving it inside Eclipse has a cost and needs sponsoring, you should make it clear. Some companies might be ready to pay to see such modernization in Eclipse IDE.

You know where this is going.

There is a lot of work to do in JDT starting from bug fixing, performance improvements or things like the proposal sorter mentioned above (in that order). And there's the work JDT team is already doing on Java 8. From Stephan's reply I take away that this consumes almost all time of the team.

So, there is definitely a lack of human resources. This is no news to anybody on the list. So why do we get stuck here all the time? Is it because no developer want's to work on JDT? Or because there is no company paying for this work? Or don't companies know that/how they could pay someone to hire people for JDT?

I don't know. Do you know (for your company)? I've heard people on other lists saying that they could imagine paying a developer for JDT. If that's true it must be the former case: that it's hard to find people that want to work on JDT. In that case we can offer up to two developers with a solid background on JDT, bytecode, and compilers (Jikes RVM) – and a big passion for JDT tooling.

If this is of interest to you and your company, let me know.
In any case join us at EclipseCon Europe BoF about "Making Eclipse IDE Fun and Successful Again" 30th Oct, 7:00 PM

Best,
Marcel

[1] http://eclipsecon.org/europe2013/eclipse-ide-lets-make-it-fun-and-successful-again

--