From: ice-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <ice-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ramachandran K. Narayanan <knarayanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:34 PM
To: ice developer discussions
Subject: [ice-dev] Issue 262 - Overall picture

Hello Jay,

I was just thinking about the next set of steps for issue 262 and the overall picture and wanted to outline my thoughts and get some comments.

A while back, for issue 262, it was mentioned that we want to support:
* Direct user input to identify the service
* Reading from an EDEF file
* Localhost discovery

1) In my local changes, I have enabled a Connect To Server icon (connect_to_core.png) which has hostname and port input. I am guessing it would be better to expand the UI such that:

a) Hostname and port input would do a discovery among the network to find a matching service? This would be related to zeroconf, r-osgi protocol?

b) Separate dialog box for EDEF file where we simply browse to the location of the EDEF file and give it as an input? Right now, I have hardcoded the path.

2) For localhost discovery, we already have a Core that starts up with the Client, through the BundleActivator class I suppose. Does that qualify as a "local" Core?

3) How would we want to handle a Client with an existing local Core, connecting to a new remote Core? Does that trigger a new UI to start?

Any information here would be great.

Thanks,
Ram

--