I did have this issue, but I resolved in the following although I don't know why it worked.

First, I moved monitoring-core.jar out of the modules directory so it wouldn't be picked up by GlassFish. Then I ran start-domain, which has the server fails to start because other modules depend on monitoring-core. I then moved monitoring-core.jar back into the modules directory and then GlassFish worked fine.

Jonathan Coustick

On 14/10/2020 12:18, Scott Marlow wrote:
We could do a community debugging zoom call session, where I recreate the failure in the debugger and while I control the debugging, attendees verbally control where I set breakpoints and what variables to look at.

It could be fun to record and share ( possibly).  :)

Scott

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020, 4:58 AM Steve Millidge (Payara) <steve.millidge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Personally I've never seen the error during development. I'll take a look at the issue but it is not reproducible for me. Perhaps Jonathan can take a look.

-----Original Message-----
From: glassfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <glassfish-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Scott Marlow
Sent: 12 October 2020 16:30
To: glassfish-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [glassfish-dev] How to disable use of org.glassfish.flashlight.MonitoringRuntimeDataRegistry for GlassFish 6.0?

i,

I tried locally to make some changes for working around the (blocking for me personally on my local machine) [1] with the loading of the org.glassfish.flashlight.MonitoringRuntimeDataRegistry (I think from org.glassfish.admin.monitor.MonitoringBootstrap).  We also seem to hit [1] in our Eclipse CI Platform TCK testing.

Is there a way to workaround [1] by setting an option to not load org.glassfish.admin.monitor.MonitoringBootstrap?  Should there be an option of that?  Could GlassFish 6.0 run with that disabled and still fully implement Jakarta EE 9?

I tried making the org.glassfish.admin.monitor.MonitoringBootstrap
injection of MonitoringRuntimeDataRegistry @Optional but that didn't seem to help (still get the java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:

[1] https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/glassfish/issues/23191