Re: [glassfish-dev] Tracking usage data for EE4J working group CI cloud systems

On 10/1/20 10:48 AM, Ed Bratt wrote:
I wasn't intending to point any fingers at the stability observations you made -- only to observe that we want to focus on improving the reliability so that we don't need to rely on re-runs, or waits, or other symptomatic only type fixes.

I agree 100%! I don't think that we need to make the memory tuning changes just yet, as they will not improve reliability.

One day, I'd like to see that we can initiate several test runs simultaneously -- and they all reliably complete -- perhaps taking more clock-time, but reliably and consistently repeating.

+1

Ideally, we could fill this compute pipeline with running and waiting tasks and be confident that the system will reliably produce, consistent results. It sounds like, for some unknown cause, we aren't there yet. Getting to the root cause of this would be my priority (and we don't know if that's a GlassFish issue, an infrastructure issue or even something else). But, I'm not actually doing the work so, it's just my opinion.

+1

Part of the original discussion related to https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/glassfish/issues/23191 suggested adding a --verbose --debug options which I tried on my local machine (as I can reproduce a similar symptom that could be the same as on CI), I would see `org.glassfish.flashlight.MonitoringRuntimeDataRegistry not found by org.glassfish.main.admin.monitoring-core` as shown on https://gist.github.com/scottmarlow/eec11ca74b99d021346b270fa29ce4fa (which has the full server output including error exceptions).

I'm thinking that we could try to reproduce the failure on Jenkins with the --verbose --debug options so that we see the actual cause on Jenkins. Perhaps it will be the same exception call stack as I see locally.

I don't know the code involved in the https://gist.github.com/scottmarlow/eec11ca74b99d021346b270fa29ce4fa exception call stack enough to debug and find the cause. If you open this gist, please search for `java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.glassfish.flashlight.MonitoringRuntimeDataRegistry not found by org.glassfish.main.admin.monitoring-core` which kind of seemed like a startup race condition but I have no idea really.

Scott

Back to the top