Re: [geomesa-users] [geomesa-dev] GeoMesa 1.2.1 release

Hi Andrea,

We intend to follow Semantic Versioning as best as possible.  As such, the 1.2.1 artifacts contain a number of bug fixes, and any additions, while valuable, are not particularly significant.  Per the LT Handbook (1), "Service releases include bug fixes only and include no significant new functionality."

Since we are trying to precise with language, I will acknowledge that GeoMesa 1.2.1 is a service release.

In terms of Eclipse process, the high-level goal is to ensure that the artifacts which a LocationTech project produces are business-friendly and IP clean.  We have completed that in its entirety for the 1.2.0 release.  Between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1, the code contributions have been from GeoMesa committers and any changes in dependencies have been filled appropriately and are basically version updates for previously updated projects.

In terms of missing steps, I'm trying to figure out what we missed...  The LT handbook further states: "Release reviews are not required for bug-fix/service releases."  At the minute, we are behind on working through Eclipse's jar signing service and publishing to LT's download server.  Perhaps some of those details would be better for a discussion on the LT PMC or IWG email lists since other projects will be interested in the details of cutting service/bug-fix releases in the LT eco-system.

Cheers,

Jim

1. https://www.eclipse.org/projects/handbook/locationtech.html#release