Re: [geomesa-users] Geohashing vs R-tree

Luca,

I'd agree more or less. When Accumulo splits a tablet, that is basically rebalancing in terms of the B^+ tree structure being used/presented. Splitting/rebalancing for R-trees is generally more interesting and computationally intensive.

To unpack it a little bit, one could consider the time to insert a record and/or build the index from scratch. For a B^+-tree, inserts are O(log n). For an R-tree, the worst case of O(n) can be realized with hotspotting. As a real world example cited in that paper, it is noted that millions of GDELT data are located a handful of points. (Figure 10 shows that over 6 million points are associated with (0,0) and another 6 million with Washington, DC.) That can give an R-tree some headaches.*

For my money, I'd love to a distributed database toolkit which would help one use more complex data structures. It'd be a quite challenging project though...

Great question; let us know what else we can expand on,

Jim

* While working on that paper, we also tried out PostGIS with the same dataset. We didn't report on that since we were rather unsure of our results. Building the GIST index took days. We did try to jitter the data to avoid hotspotting, and I think that may have helped some.