Re: [gemini-dev] Graduation plan

Hi Mike

I think I may have misled you. I was actually describing Gemini Web committer/contributor documentation (for ourselves and the likes of SAP) rather than user documentation. The latter is admittedly somewhat lacking in the case of Gemini Web, but I agree with you that it needs to stand on its own and be independent of Virgo.

Regards,
Glyn

On 8 Oct 2010, at 15:29, Mike Keith wrote:

> Glyn,
>
> The Gemini project was created to enable its individual constituent
> modules to be used either separately or in some joint configuration. My
> impression (and I may just be misunderstanding what you said) is that
> positioning Gemini Web as a sister project to Virgo and making it depend
> on Virgo documentation goes contrary to what Gemini is all about. Using
> Gemini Web as a module shouldn't require using, understanding, or even
> knowing about Virgo. Virgo should be strictly a consumer of Gemini.
>
> The key point is that Gemini should have documentation and resources
> that stand on their own. Having said that, I don't believe that our
> subproject documentation needs to be very extensive given the nature of
> the specific technologies and the target consumers. The expectation is
> that customers already understand the technology, but just need doc
> about the configuration of the modules and usage specific to the
> project. Does this make sense to you, and does it match what your
> perception of Gemini is. If not then perhaps we might benefit in a
> project refocusing discussion, or perhaps even a project reorg.
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike
>
> On 10/8/2010 9:10 AM, Glyn Normington wrote:
>> The plan seems reasonable from a Gemini Web perspective. I am hoping that Gemini Web won't have much to do in relation to this plan once it has graduated and released. As far as developer documentation is concerned, please note that Gemini Web is very much a sister project of Virgo and leans on Virgo for its developer documentation.
>>
>> I'll leave Costin to speak for Blueprint, but he is travelling and on vacation until early November.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Glyn
>>
>> On 7 Oct 2010, at 16:09, Mike Keith wrote:
>>

>>> All,
>>>
>>> I promised to send out a plan for graduation of the project (attached).
>>> I know that we had initially intended to combine the requirements from
>>> all of the subprojects together and graduate as a group but it turned
>>> out that Gemini Web needed to work on an accelerated timeframe in order
>>> to meet Virgo deadlines, so we are now graduating together, but without
>>> Gemini Web (and hopefully will be able to learn from Gemini Web's
>>> experience).
>>>
>>> Note that I have postponed the graduation date by approx a month to
>>> ensure that we have enough time to complete the requirements, and to
>>> allow more user input in the interim.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Mike