Re: [equinox-dev] OSGI jar file built from specific tag differs from OSGI jar included with BIRT runtime?

I'm not surprised by this difference and would argue that the process by which in the past you managed to get the same jar is coincidence / luck, or some wonky things that the BIRT team did :)

Several reasons come to mind as to why there is a difference:
- the Eclipse build process condition the jar (pack200 then unpack200 it) which rearranges the bytecode
- you may be using a different version of the compiler than the one that has been used during the Eclipse build

HTH

Pascal

On 2012-03-28, at 4:13 PM, Hardin, John wrote:

The OSGI jar file included with the 3.7.2 version of the BIRT runtime is org.eclipse.osgi_3.7.2.v20120110-1415.jar.

When I extract the v20120110-1415 version of the equinox framework from here (http://git.eclipse.org/c/equinox/rt.equinox.framework.git/tag/?id=v20120110-1415), and manually build theorg.eclipse.osgi “bundle” with Eclipse, I get jar contents that are almost completely different than the jar included with BIRT.

To compare the jars, I first expand them, run md5sum on all of the constituent files, and compare the results.  I’ve attached the results of diff’ing the md5sum results for all of the jar file constituents.

As you can see, ALL of the .class files differ!  Also, there are files in the BIRT jar’s META-INF directory that don’t exist in the META-INF directory of the jar built from source (e.g., META-INF/ECLIPSEF.RSA,META_INF/ECLIPSEF.SF).

I’m able to build an earlier version of the OSGI jar from source, and find its contents are identical to those of the OSGI jar that’s included with a corresponding earlier version of the BIRT runtime; so, I think my process is sound.

Can anyone please help me understand what I’m missing in terms of building the OSGI jar file, and why its contents differ so markedly from the contents of the jar file included with the BIRT runtime?

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

Sincerely,

-John hardin
equinox-dev mailing list
equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx