From: Andy Wilkinson <andy.wilkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2009/05/06 09:22
Subject: [equinox-dev] ClassLoader leak caused by EventManager's EventThread        creation

I've been looking into a PermGen leak and have identified what looks to
be an undesirable side-effect of
org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager's creation of an
EventThread instance. In my particular situation the EventManager
instance is MRUBundleFileList's bundleFileCloserManager. I'm running on
3.5.0.v20090311-1300.

When the EventThread is lazily created, it gets its context class loader
from the current thread. In my situation it's a call from a non-Equinox
owned thread that's triggered the lazy creation of the EventThread
instance. In this case at least, it doesn't seem right for this
Equinox-owned thread to be holding a reference to this foregin class
loader, particularly as it's not easy to update the EventThread's
context classloader in application code. The reference to the
classloader leads to a PermGen leak as the classloader doesn't become
eligible for garbage collection.

With the caveat that I don't know if there is some expectation about
what the event thread's context class loader should be, I wonder if it
would be better if EventManager was updated to explicitly set an
EventThread's context class loader, possibly to Equinox's classloader,
i.e. EventManager.class.getClassLoader()?

Regards,
Andy