[equinox-dev] Re: equinox-dev Digest, Vol 38, Issue 12

Heiko,

thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the demo examples and trying an example based on them. I get the tracing bundles installed using the osgi console. When I run my 'Hello World' example, I get 'Hello World' out but no tracing output.

I have demo.hello , demo.tracing and demo.tracing.coopt as separate bundles. Each have the MANIFESTs as shown in the demo examples and the aop.xml in just demo.tracing.co-opt as per example.

Do the aspects bundles require an Activator, or are they treated like library bundles? I have tried both ways.

According to Martin Lippert, this is all one needs to do (and is what I have done):
quote:
"I am not sure if I understand your question correctly but it is possible
to define an aspect inside a separate bundle and let this aspect be
woven into all other bundles with Equinox Aspects. This means your
aspect bundle can define a pointcut that affects all other bundles
without touching those other bundles at all.

Just implement your aspect inside a bundle, define the aop.xml file and
"Eclipse-SupplementBundle: *" in the manifest. Thats it.
end quote

taken from:  http://www.eclipsezone.com/eclipse/forums/m92227380.html

Well I wish it was that simple! It is not for me.

Rowan

Rowan,

I am sorry, but right now Equinox Aspects (formerly known as AOSGI) is
not documented very well. We will work on that soon.

Please take a look at the CVS: http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/ index.cgi/equinox-incubator/aspects/
There you will find demos and test cases. I hope these will help you
going on.

You can also find some information on how to set up projects to run
with Equinox Aspects in the slides of a session Martin and me gave at
Eclipse Forum Europe some weeks ago: http://heiko.seebergers.de/ My_publications/Entries/2008/4/24_JAX_EFE_2008_-_Equinox_Aspects.html

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further help.

Heiko