Re: [equinox-dev] [p2] plug-in versions

Let's discuss and resolve at the Equinox meeting tomorrow. I can be convinced either way, but a number < 1.0 provides a good hint to adopters that referencing p2 bundles isn't a good idea - since there is no API, absolutely anything can change right up to the day of the 3.4 release, and in maintenance releases. We may even want to refactor and add/delete/merge/split bundles before delivering a real API in the next release. I also noticed we shipped a 0.1.0 Jsch bundle in 3.3, and there are perhaps other examples in Ganymede projects.  The version numbers really describe API rather than functionality.

Thomas Watson <tjwatson@xxxxxxxxxx>

04/14/2008 09:42 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] [p2] plug-in versions

My 2 cents ...

For Ganymede the plan is to have 1.0 p2 functionality. This should not imply that we will have p2 1.0 API. I imagine for the first release of p2 we are going to have lots of bundles start to use the internal.provisional APIs because there is no public API available and they will have to resort to using the internal.provisional APIs. I suggest we release with all p2 bundle versions as 1.0. When we graduate to real API for p2 then the bundles can be increased to 2.0.

This way we can recommend a version range of [1.0, 2.0) for early adopters use internal.provisional API. In a future release when p2 does include real API then the early adopters will be able to clearly see which bundles graduated real API. I suppose the same can be done with 0.1.0 versions with a range of [0.1.0, 1.0) and [1.0, 2.0) after the real API is introduced. But a bundle version of 0.1.0 does not give the impression that p2 is releasing 1.0 functionality in Ganymede.

Tom

Inactive hide details for John Arthorne ---04/14/2008 07:31:09 AM---I don't think we ever decided on this. The thinking was thaJohn Arthorne ---04/14/2008 07:31:09 AM---I don't think we ever decided on this. The thinking was that since no API was being declared, we might leave the plug-ins with

John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>

04/14/2008 07:31 AM

Re: [equinox-dev] [p2] plug-in versions

I don't think we ever decided on this. The thinking was that since no API was being declared, we might leave the plug-ins with a number < 1.0 and then move to 1.0 in the first release that contains real API (likely 3.5). Typically the initial API of a plug-in appears in version 1.0 of the plug-in.

Chris Aniszczyk <zx@xxxxxxxxxx>

04/10/2008 07:23 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] [p2] plug-in versions

I noticed that all of p2 plug-ins are currently 0.10.qualifier... shouldn't this be 1.0.0.qualifier since these have been graduated and will be included in the SDK for 3.4?

I ask this as I'm trying to straighten out some plug-in dependency ranges in PDE.

Cheers,

---
Chris Aniszczyk | IBM Lotus | Eclipse Committer |
http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com | +1.860.839.2465_______________________________________________
equinox-dev mailing list
equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx