RE: [equinox-dev] Secure Storage Javadoc Gotchas

Hi Oleg,

thanks for all this information. Couple of comments and further questions:
  • Runtime option for password: IMHO this is a no-no because simple ps -ef on Linux will show the commandline that was used for launching Eclipse, including the plaintext passwrd. It's one of the things I've always disliked about the old Eclipse Keyring.
  • Runtime option for keyring location: I've always liked this one because it allowed me to place my old Eclipse keyring into an NTFS encrypted folder for added security, with rw access only for my user id - an option that helps reducing the risk of "I copy your keyring and apply brute force attacks to it" kinds of approaches.
  • Password recovery questions: When would those ever be used? Arent't these vulnerable to Brute Force Dictionary attacks?
  • Trusted bundles: sounds interesting.
  • Password Provider Priorities: shouldn't the user be able to move up / move down / enable / disable password providers by Preference rather than just showing the fixed priorities?
  • [question added by oleg]: that's a bit of information which I actually found in the docs ;-)

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top