Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] EclipseCon installers

I believe we need a different installer per platform (os/ws/arch), since they will have different launchers, unless there is some known way to bundle a standalone RCP application that will run on any platform.  As for EPP packages, the installer works by reading an install description file that specifies what to install, where to get the bits from, etc.  The description file is passed to the installer as a system property on the command line, or in the installer.ini file. Since each EPP package will just be represented by a different install description file, one could imagine a single installer with a series of scripts/batch files that pass in a different property for the description file.  On the other hand, the installer is currently ~4MB (of which 2MB is SWT), so for simplicity having a separate installer per EPP per platform could also work.

John

Jeff McAffer <jeff@xxxxxxxxx>

02/04/2008 01:13 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] [prov] EclipseCon installers

I forgot to ask during the call.  Can we have one installer per EPP
package?  That is, one installer that would work for multiple platforms
or do we have to have one installer for per EPP per platform?

Jeff