Re: [equinox-dev] Maven and all that [was: Jetty and commons logging]

Glad to see you are still around and reading Alex :-)  Superficially one could call foul here but more careful examination of two JARs in question shows that they are in fact different things.  In particular, the Orbit JAR is an OSGi bundle.  While the code is the same, normal users are unlikely to encounter the two in the same context.  The raw one from Apache just does not run in OSGi asis (so Eclipse users should have little interest in it) and while someone could take the one from Orbit and use it as a normal JAR, its not clear why they would come to Eclipse to get function that is available from Apache just fine.  The point is to reduce/eliminate confusion.  Here we trade off confusion of having two logging JARs that are different (one is a bundle, one is not) and have different names with the confusion of having two things that are different but have the same name.  Choice seems easy to me.

If Apache were to produce bundles for these things then we would rejoice, delete our copies in Orbit and reship what they ship asis.  As it is, the logging JAR in the maven repo is not a bundle and it would have been incorrect of us to modify the file (by adding the manifest info) and name it the same.

Jeff

p.s, We toiled considerably over the naming of these bundles (between org.apache... and org.eclipse...) and in the end, for various reasons that are documented around Orbit, chose to give nod to the originator and use org.apache.  Of course both approaches have downsides and I don't want to relive that discussion.  If the Apache teams do eventually choose to bundle their stuff and happen to use a different JAR naming convention then we'll have to eat the change (assuming it does not result in name clashes)

"Alex Blewitt" <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx>

01/08/2008 04:21 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject

On Jan 7, 2008 10:33 PM, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Personally I would find it hard to in any way sanction a repo of any kind
> that resulted in people getting JARs with names different than what we
> produced.

You mean like someone downloading log4j-1.2.13.jar, and instead of
calling it the same name:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/log4j/log4j/1.2.13/log4j-1.2.13.jar

renaming it to something different:

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/orbit/downloads/drops/S200712072116/bundles/org.apache.log4j_1.2.13.v200706111418.jar