Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] generator changes

Ok.  approach makes sense.  This may also be a good candidate for "advice" to the generator.  The info is in effect advice but we need ways of letting users give such input more easily.  That is essentially why I was pushing on moving this stuff out of the generator.  Things like the names and locations of the executables should come from outside.

Jeff

John Arthorne/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

10/23/2007 07:53 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] generator changes

The use case I added support for was generating IUs for all platform launchers when generating against an Eclipse install that contains the delta pack. It does consult IGeneratorInfo to get the location of the org.eclipse.equinox.executable feature where the launchers live, but from that point it makes assumptions about the shape of the executable feature. It does this to figure out the os/ws/arch values and to figure out the native touchpoint instructions (zip and chmod) so that the resulting install will have the right shape.

Overall, it feels quite brittle to be reverse-engineering the launcher configuration units based on the delta pack structure produced by PDE build. There are subtle details such as which files need the execute bit set, etc. I was thinking this will be a good candidate for hand-crafting metadata once we have a stable metadata file format. The launcher metadata could be authored at develop time, and checked into CVS alongside the actual launcher files.

Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA

10/23/2007 02:44 PM

Please respond to

equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[equinox-dev] [prov] generator changes

I noticed a few changes around the generator that seem to embed knowledge of the launcher etc in the generator itself.  would it be reasonable to separate these out and put that stuff into the GeneratorInfo?  The idea of the design is that the generator itself is reasonably generic and the infos fill in the details for particular scenarios.  Currently we only have on info class but thta is more of a current state than anything.  Thoughts?

Jeff