Re: [equinox-dev] [prov] Shared install filesystem layout

> > - how do you generally handle versions?  for example, it is imaginable
> > that people need Eclipse 3.3 and 3.4 installed.  They both have
> > eclipse.exe, eclipse.ini, ...  Are they packaged with unique names?
>
> Well, in Fedora it's easy because we only ship one version :)  But I
> imagine you'd solve this with a prefix or something:
> ex. /usr/lib/eclipse34 or even (but please no) /opt/eclipse34.

On some systems (e.g. Debian) the use of /etc/alternatives is quite
common. The code is put in a per-directory with version, and then
there's a symbolic link for the system-wide 'default' one:

/etc/alternatives/eclipse -> /usr/lib/eclipse_3-3/eclipse

Others can then use different versions by changing their path.

BTW the /usr/share/ stuff is listed at:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDENTDATA

"The /usr/share hierarchy is for all read-only architecture
independent data files. [30]

This hierarchy is intended to be shareable among all architecture
platforms of a given OS; thus, for example, a site with i386, Alpha,
and PPC platforms might maintain a single /usr/share directory that is
centrally-mounted. Note, however, that /usr/share is generally not
intended to be shared by different OSes or by different releases of
the same OS."

There was some talk a while ago of creating a /usr/share/java for such
things. Given that the .jars are architecture independent (even if
some of their contents aren't) I'd vote for not splitting the bundles
arbitrarily.

Alex.

Back to the top