Re: [equinox-dev] Project maya related to equinox?

This is a good question.  The basic answer is that the Equinox provisioning work and the Maya work are complementary.  Equinox provisioning is intended to be a "provisioning platform/framework" with an examplary application being an Update Manager replacement.  Maya will, eventually, use that same provisioning platform to implement a particular brand of server managed provisioning.  In the mean time, Maya has its own underlying infrastructure that it uses to do the actual moving of bytes, installation/configuring of bundles, etc.  Over time the plan is for them to move over to use the Equinox infrastructure.

Last April we all got together for a Provisioning workshop
        http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Ganymede_Provisioning_Workshop
and setout a number of terms and directions as captured in the workshop results
        http://wiki.eclipse.org/Ganymede_Provisioning_Workshop_Breakout_Results
Note that one of those results was the creation of a provisioning-dev mailing list
        https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/provisioning-dev
that can/should be used for general provisioning related discussions.

Jeff

Brett Wooldridge <bwooldridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

06/25/2007 07:21 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] Project maya related to equinox?

I think these guys are actually pretty far along.  I saw their talk at EclipseCon back in March (or was it April?).  I think they’re a bunch of Cisco guys, but my memory is hazy.  I think they were having some issues convincing Cisco to loosen their fingers on some of the source.  But again, could be my bad memory.  Their provisioning was designed for some reeeeally complex environments if I recall.  But seems like their should be some synergy to be had.

-Brett