Re: [equinox-dev] Re: [osgi-dev] Interoperability problems...

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 22:42, Neil Bartlett wrote:
> However if, as Tom tells us, Equinox is only the RI when downloaded from
> the Alliance and configured according to the Alliance's instructions,
> surely Niclas simply needs to recommend to his customers that they first
> test their bundles _on that RI_ before assuming they will be portable to
> other OSGi implementations.

Correct.

The fact that Jeff and Simon writes[1];
<quote>In fact, it [http://www.eclipse.org/equinox] is the reference
implementation for the framework portion of that specification.</quote>
and is the dominant perception in the industry is, if I understand Tom right,
inaccurate. It should read something more like;

"Equinox has been used to create the Reference Implementation" or perhaps the
opposite "Equinox is a direct derivation of the Reference Implementation".

And is the Reference Implementation from OSGi available to the public?[2]

Cheers
Niclas

[1] http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=EclipseEquinoxOSGi
[2]