Re: [equinox-dev] Using Equinox for Headless Applications

1) Run an execution environment (server)
2) Deploy application as bundles/plugins (hopefully remotely)
3) Scheduling: run "jobs" or "tasks" at certain times
4) Start/Stop (hopefully remotely)
5) Upgrade (hopefully remotely)

Yup, all of this stuff is possible with Equinox.

Now, I think I do see a path on how this can be done, but I was just
wondering if there's some documentation out there that explains how the
above is done. I don't currently see anything that covers the above
(maybe I'm just missing it) or am I trying to fit a square peg in a
round hole here? Any help?

There's not a lot of documentation out there at this point for
building enterprise server-based applications on top of the OSGi
platform, so your best bet is to get familiar with the specs from the
OSGi alliance.  The core and compendium specs are important, and to a
lesser extent the MEG spec may be of interest to you.  The specs are
some of the nicest I've read.  They're generally well-written and easy
to read.

OSGi seems to be gaining a good bit of traction in the enterprise dev
space lately, so I expect more literature to start cropping up.  As of
now, source code, specs and mailing lists are the best sources of
information.

FWIW, the dev group I'm working with has a CMS/feed processing system
up and running with Equinox as foundation, echo2 with jetty for UI and
Quartz for scheduling.  All of our bundles are hosted on a remote
bundle repository, which we use to bootstrap and upgrade the
application.  I've got to say that being able to upgrade code in a
running system on-the-fly just doesn't get old.

Apache's Felix is another open source OSGi framework implementation
that you might want to consider.

- Ben

I am looking to use Equinox as our main "platform" for all of our Java
applications. Our first and most important use case is to deploy and
schedule many headless applications. From the little reading that I've
done on OSGi and Equinox, I thought the following was possible:

1) Run an execution environment (server)
2) Deploy application as bundles/plugins (hopefully remotely)
3) Scheduling: run "jobs" or "tasks" at certain times
4) Start/Stop (hopefully remotely)
5) Upgrade (hopefully remotely)

Now, I think I do see a path on how this can be done, but I was just
wondering if there's some documentation out there that explains how the
above is done. I don't currently see anything that covers the above
(maybe I'm just missing it) or am I trying to fit a square peg in a
round hole here? Any help?

Thanks!

Marcus
--