Re: [equinox-dev] NPE from RegistryStrategyOSGI.onStop()

Looking in your manifest.mf I see this:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: Test Plug-in
Bundle-SymbolicName: registry.test
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0
Bundle-Activator: registry.test.Activator
Bundle-Localization: plugin
Import-Package: org.osgi.framework;version="1.3.0"
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.equinox.registry

Whenever you get a NoClassDefFoundError that most likely cause is that you incorrectly defined the bundle's dependencies in the manifest.mf.  Since the IExtensionRegistry class is in the bundle org.eclipse.core.runtime you MUST do one of the following:

- Use the Import-Package header to declare a dependency on the *package* org.eclipse.core.runtime.
- Use the Require-Bundle header to declare your dependency on the *bundle* org.eclipse.core.runtime.

Either will work.  Sometimes it is hard for people to decide which header to use.  My rule of thumb is as follows:

- If you absolutely depend upon the bundle then use Require-Bundle.  This is most often the case when you are extending an extension-point defined in a particular bundle.  Since there is never a possibility that another bundle could provide the extension point on which you dependent it makes sense to always use Require-Bundle for this sort of dependency.

- If all you care about is a code dependency on a particular type in a particular package then use Import-Package.  This is the case where you are depending on an implementer of some well defined API and you really don't care who the provider is, so long as it provides the correct API.  Use Import-Package when there could be multiple exporters of the package on which  you depend, otherwise just use Require-Bundle.

I hope this helps,

Simon

"Jason Hao" <jason.hao@xxxxxxxxx>

10/22/2006 10:54 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: [equinox-dev] NPE from RegistryStrategyOSGI.onStop()

Oleg,

Thanks for you quick answer. I tried your suggestion but it didn't work as you described. I added an activator class into MyBundle. MyBundle's
activator#start() is called after org.eclipse.equinox.registry's. And so does the activator#stop().This is even worse. Because I got another exception in MyBundle's activator#stop() method.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/eclipse/core/runtime/IExtensionRegistry
   at registry.test.Activator.stop(Activator.java:30)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl$3.run (BundleContextImpl.java:1032)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.stop(BundleContextImpl.java:1028)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.stopWorker (BundleHost.java:396)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.suspend(AbstractBundle.java:502)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.suspendBundle(Framework.java:1067)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.decFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:619)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:283)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.shutdown (StartLevelManager.java:256)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundle.suspend(SystemBundle.java:190)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.shutdown(Framework.java:537)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.shutdown(OSGi.java:61)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FrameworkCommandProvider._shutdown(FrameworkCommandProvider.java:214)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0 (Native Method)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke (Method.java:597)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FrameworkCommandInterpreter.execute(FrameworkCommandInterpreter.java:145)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FrameworkConsole.docommand( FrameworkConsole.java:293)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FrameworkConsole.console(FrameworkConsole.java:278)
   at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.FrameworkConsole.run(FrameworkConsole.java :213)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

I attached the test bundle for your reference.