Re: RE: RE: [equinox-dev] OSGI Bundles: alternate manifest.mf location

As Pascal points out in a later post, there is a chicken and egg problem with discovering the mappings.  That is, where would you put the manifest location information such that the runtime can pick it up and do the mapping?

Note also that there are some more subtle problems in that the manifest itself contains paths (classpath, native code, translations, ...)  Currently these are all considered to be relative to the "root" of the bundle.  The original problem that started this thread was that Maven wants "resources" to be somewhere in particular.  Are these files considered to be resources?  As such, shouldn't these be somehow mapped too?  For example, where should the translations (typically in Eclipse the plugin.properties file) go in a Maven layout?

We need to work through all these problems and usecases to better understand if and how they can be addressed.

Jeff

"Neil Bartlett" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

07/06/2006 10:18 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
Re: RE: RE: [equinox-dev] OSGI Bundles: alternate manifest.mf location

Jeff,

Isn't there still an inconsistency here, as Alex pointed out, between how the manifest is handled and the compiled classes are handled?

That is, if "self-hosting" requires that the meta-inf/manifest.mf be at the root of the project, why does it allow the classes to be under bin/? The runtime classpath of the bundle is defined by the manifest and the manifest (in many cases) will say "Bundle-Classpath: .". Does Equinox dynamically change that to "Bundle-Classpath: bin/" when launching from PDE? If so, couldn't there be support in Equinox for manifest.mf to be located somewhere other than the OSGi-mandated location when "self-hosting"?

Regards,
Neil