Re[4]: [equinox-dev] OSGI Bundles: alternate manifest.mf location

JM> ....  The PDE need to have the manifest at
JM> a particular spot is driven by "self hosting" usecases.  PDE
JM> developers do not have to "build" or "deploy" or take any other
JM> action between saving changes to a plugin and running it.
This is not really true. You map around the class path to get the bin folder
on the class path (the magic source.. and output.. properties), they are normally in the
root of the bundle. Why you could not have a magic meta.. property?

You do have a "deploy" phase before you launch, you just distributed most
of the work during editing. E.g. before you launch you must commit all
your files and I am pretty sure you internally do some more things
before you launch, however, as far as I know that point is not
available to run a script.

JM>   This is a fundamental part of the Eclipse philosophy and workflow.
Unfortunately :-( As I have argued in vain too many times, it just does
not work very well for bundle development. It might work for big
Eclipse plugins development, for my kind of work where I have lots and
lots of small bundles and complex packaging requirements it just
does not work. I converted many bundles to use the Eclipse model
for a tutorial. Since then they all slipped back to btool because it
was just too painful.

The Eclipse model with 1 project = 1 bundle is too constrained.
It also forces you to put the same information in lots of places
because you can not define variables in a single point and use them
in many places, causing the root of most software evil: redundancy. A
build tool can easily generate the imports, now you must edit them by
hand.

I feel that the "no-build" mantra is blinding Eclipse folks for the many
disadvantages. It would be interesting to know how many people on this
list would like to be able to do something before launching/packaging
and get rid of the project==bundle constraint?

Don't get me wrong I love Eclipse and there are an enormous amount of
tremendous features in it. However, the PDE development model is too
constrained for me (and as it seems for many others).

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens