RE: [equinox-dev] OSGI Bundles: alternate manifest.mf location

The OSGI spec is a little over-zealous in specing that all bundles are JARs.  I don't dispute what it says (though I don't recall it being that strong) but in practice several open source implementations that I know support installation of directory based bundles.  This gives you a clue as to why PDE is keen on the file being where it is and called what it is.  this approach allows you to turn around and simply run the project as a bundle without doing any whacky copy transformations or passing extra manifest location information into the runtime.

Jeff

"Philippe Ombredanne" <pombredanne@xxxxxxxxx>

07/05/2006 04:43 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] OSGI Bundles:  alternate manifest.mf location

Ravi:
Note that a jarred bundle could not be a standard Jar anymore if the
META-INF was anywhere else.
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jar/jar.html

And an OSGi jarred bundle is always a valid Jar file.
>From the OSGi R4 spec:
"2.3.2 Java JAR File Restrictions
OSGi bundles are always valid JAR files."
"3.2.1 Bundle Manifest Headers
A bundle can carry descriptive information about itself in the manifest
file
that is contained in its JAR file under the name of
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. "

So putting the manifest anywhere would break OSGi compatibility afaict.

--
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com