RE: [equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

- The framework is built like any other bundle in eclipse, using PDE.  To build the osgi jar from PDE you should export the project using the Deployable plug-ins and fragments wizard provided by PDE.

- If you want to launch the the framework from the code in the workspace then you should use the Equinox OSGi Framework launcher.  This will launch the base framework.  Or you can use the standard Eclipse Application launcher if you want to do full-fledged eclipse RCP stuff.

Tom

"Arjun Singh" <aasingh@xxxxxxxxx>

03/02/2006 04:39 PM

Please respond to

cc
Subject
RE: [equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

I’ve now tried three different ways of running the framework, the last of which seems to partially work.  Here are the details:

First, I tried to simply run while I had the org.eclipse.osgi project open from within eclipse.  I selected “Run…” from the run menu.  The Main file specified is org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter, and I gave the argument of –console.  This produced the exceptions I originally gave.

Second, I tried to export to a jar file, and then use java –jar <jarfile> -console.  When creating the jar file, I specified that the .class files from all sources should be included, as well as the META-INF folder, the .options file, the profile-list file, and several .profile files.  When I was prompted to specify whether to create a manifest file for the jar, or to use an existing one, I left the default and created a new one.  This also produced the exceptions I originally gave.

Finally, I tried exporting to a jar again, but this time instead of creating a new manifest file, I specified to use org.eclipse.osgi/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF.  Then when I try java –jar <jarfile> -console, I get the following exception, followed by the desired osgi> prompt:

osgi> org.eclipse.osgi Application error
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service.
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:65)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:374)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:169)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(EclipseStarter.java:142)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:210)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(EclipseStarter.java:142)

osgi>

What is the proper way to run org.eclipse.osgi when viewing/editing the project in Eclipse?

Thanks again for all the help,
Arjun

Re: [equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

How are you building and launching the framework.  I would expect the built jar to have the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file in it.  This file is in the org.eclipse.osgi project.  Make sure the built version includes this file content from the project.

Tom

"Arjun Singh" <aasingh@xxxxxxxxx>

03/02/2006 12:47 PM

Please respond to

<equinox-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[equinox-dev] unable to find system bundle manifest file

Hi,

I have a beginner’s question.  I checked out the org.eclipse.osgi project from the cvs repository.  It builds without errors, but when I try to run it, I get the following:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException
: Unable to find system bundle manifest file.
     at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.SystemBundleData.createManifest(
SystemBundleData.java:79)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.SystemBundleData.<init>(
SystemBundleData.java:34)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.BaseAdaptor.createSystemBundleData(
BaseAdaptor.java:359)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.SystemBundle.<init>(
SystemBundle.java:43)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.createSystemBundle(
Framework.java:221)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize(
Framework.java:186)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>(
Framework.java:112)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework(
OSGi.java:90)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>(
OSGi.java:31)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(
EclipseStarter.java:278)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(
EclipseStarter.java:165)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(
EclipseStarter.java:142)
org.eclipse.osgi Startup error

java.lang.RuntimeException
: Exception while creating System Bundle: Unable to find system bundle manifest file.
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.createSystemBundle(
Framework.java:224)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.initialize(
Framework.java:186)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.<init>(
Framework.java:112)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.createFramework(
OSGi.java:90)
     at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.OSGi.<init>(
OSGi.java:31)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(
EclipseStarter.java:278)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(
EclipseStarter.java:165)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(
EclipseStarter.java:142)
Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NullPointerException
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(
EclipseStarter.java:178)
     at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.main(
EclipseStarter.java:142)

As you can probably tell, I’m fairly unfamiliar with this project, so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what causes this error.

At first I thought the system bundle manifest file is the org.eclipse.osgi/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file, but if that were the case, I’m not sure why I’m getting this error.  One thing I tried was to look at the contents of <eclipse install location>/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.1.1.jar, since running the framework using this jar worked.  After extracting the contents of this jar into a temporary folder, I noticed that there is a ADAPTOR.MF file in the org/eclipse/core/runtime/adaptor folder.  Is this the system bundle manifest file?  Where does it come from?

Thanks,

Arjun