[equinox-dev] Fw: [oscar] Re: [architecture] Geronimo and OSGi

FYI
----- Forwarded by Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM on 10/28/2005 11:35 AM -----
Didier Donsez <didier.donsez@xxxxxxx>

10/28/2005 11:11 AM

Philippe Merle <Philippe.Merle@xxxxxxx>
cc
Pierre-Yves Gibello <pierreyves.gibello@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Christophe Ney <christophe.ney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Architecture Objectweb <architecture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oscar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[oscar] Re: [architecture] Geronimo and OSGi

Thanks you Philippe

Just a presentation of FROGi in english.

Didier

Philippe Merle a écrit :

>Hi,
>
>Pierre-Yves Gibello wrote:

>>I don't know what is the position of the JOnAS team regarding this, but
>>I think we have a kind of "Fractal vs OSGi" issue at OW (although I'm
>>not sure both approaches address the same problem, and I'm not even sure
>>they are uncompatible).
>>

>Fractal and OSGi are not uncompatible. See the paper "FROGi :
>déploiement
>de composants Fractal sur OSGi" presented at the DECOR 2004 conference.
>
>OSGi provides a runtime structure where bundles/services/code could be
>deployed dynamically (ie installed, updated, uninstalled, etc).
>OSGi provides also a service register that allows services to discover
>and connect them together.
>OSGi is adequate for software requiring a structured plug-in mechanism.
>This is why it is used in Eclipse and in home/vehicle gateways.
>
>Fractal provides a ligthweight extensible component model where:
>* software architectures could be clearly expressed (see Fractal ADL)
>* applications could be dynamically and safely reconfigurated
>* functional and non functional aspects could be separated
>This is why Fractal is used to build some ObjectWeb middleware like
>DREAM, JADE, GOTM, Speedo, etc.
>
>Next ObjectWeb application servers should be build on top of
>OSGi and Fractal together. And we should stop to opposite these
>two complementary software technologies.
>
>A+
>Philippe Merle
>--
>Dr. Philippe Merle - INRIA Scientist Researcher at
>Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale de Lille
>UPRESA 8022 CNRS - U.F.R. I.E.E.A. - Batiment M3
>Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille
>59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq CEDEX France
>
>    Phone: (33) (0)3 20 33 70 24
>      Fax: (33) (0)3 28 77 85 37
>   E-Mail: Philippe.Merle@xxxxxxx
>Home Page: http://www.lifl.fr/~merle
> See also: http://openccm.objectweb.org/
>           http://corbaweb.lifl.fr/

Didier DONSEZ
Laboratoire LSR, Institut Imag, Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
mailto:Didier.Donsez@xxxxxxx