From:        "Lance J. Andersen" <lance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:        ejb developer discussions <ejb-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        03/03/2021 14:31
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [ejb-dev] [VOTE] Handling of PortableRemoteObject.narrow
Sent by:        "ejb-dev" <ejb-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Kevin, Previously this was covered by the Java SE signature tests as this class was part of the JDK. You can think of this similar to JAXB/JAXWS. If you used the implementations within Java SE, then you did not need to run the standalone
Hi Kevin,

Previously this was covered by the Java SE signature tests as this class was part of the JDK.  You can think of this similar to  JAXB/JAXWS.  If you used the implementations within Java SE, then you did not need to run the standalone TCK for those technologies.  If you used your own implementation, for example as Glassfish did with Metro, then the standalone TCKs were required to be run as part of CTS for Java EE compatibility.

As it is no longer part of the JDK  and is still required in some configurations, the signatures should be validated IMHO to help validate compliance/compatibility.

HTH

Best
Lance