Re: [ee4j-community] EE4J code conventions?

On 4/9/18 9:46 PM, arjan tijms wrote:
Hi,

On Monday, April 9, 2018, Jason Greene <jason.greene@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jason.greene@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The other factor to keep in mind is there is going to be gigantic
    source import from a bunch of different projects that each may have
followed different conventions.

    Many have established communities and may have strong opinions about
this.

You are right that if it would be totally different projects from different origins that would be a major issue, but in this case aren’t all the transferred projects the RI projects from Oracle?

yes and no. EclipseLink while being among those being transferred is under EF control since 2007 and its roots dates back to 1996 (if we are talking only about its Java version), with Oracle and IBM being most active committers there during last say ~5 years

They already have essentially the Sun/Eclipse conventions with spaces. At least, as far as I know not a single one of the former Oracle projects use tabs. One project that does uses tabs is OmniFaces btw ;)

there were parts which were using Tabs; there were also files which were using mixed line-endings (yeah believe it or not there really were files where some lines ended with LF and others with CR/LF - don't ask me how that could happen) - both of these "issues" were "fixed" few years ago and that was the only (history destructive) code-formatting change we were willing to make.

thanks,
--lukas

One important thing to note is that the proposal in the opening post is just that, a proposal. The idea was that a convention would be established by committers from all EE4J modules (projects), which however are not rarely the same people.

Kind regards,
Arjan

    On Apr 9, 2018, at 12:54 PM, Markus KARG <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx