Re: [ee4j-community] EE4J code conventions?

I do agree with Arjan that we need the equivalent of what the Java EE umbrella EG and specification leads did or should have done to guarantee some consistency across Java EE specifications.

I am still a bit hazy as to how the various EE4J committees are supposed to work, but perhaps this sort of thing is now the role of the PMC?

-------- Original message --------
From: arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4/9/18 9:11 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: EE4J community discussions <ee4j-community@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ee4j-community] EE4J code conventions?

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 1:58 PM, Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1, Dmitry.  Coding conventions should be a project-specific requirement, not an EE4J requirement.  EE4J could possibly recommend some coding conventions, but the requirements should be left up to each individual project.

While the goal is to have code conventions, and having them at the project level is definitely better than having none at all, I do wonder why we would even want different conventions per project?

I mean, why would we actively want to steer towards say Mojarra using

public void foo()
{
}

and say Soteria using:

public void foo() {
}

One approach is not better or worse than the other, so it's unlikely to be a matter of saying that any of the bracing styles is more suitable to either project.

In Java EE the umbrella spec didn't give that much steering as compared to say Java SE, or even though it's a different kind of setup, Spring projects or even Jboss projects. As a result we got quite a number of differences that shouldn't have to be there. Perhaps with Jakarta EE there could be somewhat more steering, so at least the Jakarta EE APIs and EE4J implementations have a somewhat consistent feel.

There's not just the code style, but also the tools used for documentation, tools used for (TCK) tests, tools used for building  and with respect to the APIs a number of architecture guidelines or rules for naming, CDI usage, and what have you.

Kind regards,
Arjan

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Java EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: