Re: [ee4j-community] Fwd: Jakarta Logo Submissions-extended 1 day

On 2018-03-15 1:59 PM, Instantiation Exception wrote:
I am not sure if you are joking, but for me this Orangutan logo looks very lame.
I think logo submitted by Richard Monson-Haefel looks a lot better:

All,

I feel that I need to explain one of the legal constraints that we are operating under.

There are some jurisdictions around the world that will not register a trademark name which refers to a geographical location. However, we have been advised that you can register a graphical mark in conjunction with a word mark if there is no reference to the geographical location. This constraint explains some of the points made in the design brief.

Jakarta is a geographical location. Specifically it is a large city on the island of Java in Indonesia.

So when I look at the tiger and the orangutan I imagine attempting to convince a trademark examiner in (to give an extreme example) Indonesia that these have zero implied connection to Java, Jakarta, or Indonesia. And at least in my mind these all fail that test. Or perhaps a better way to say it is that we would not want to take the risk. We can all debate whether monkeys are cuter than cats or vice versa. The strong risk that the registration of those marks would be rejected in some jurisdictions is a stronger and less ambiguous objection.

There are several such constraints that the Eclipse Foundation is operating under as we are working through this process. I would appreciate your understanding if/when we say and do things which seem odd. We are genuinely trying to do the best we can under a very complicated set of constraints and expectations.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top