Re: [ee4j-community] Some guidelines for Maintenance Releases (MRs) of Java EE 8 Specifications

Although this is far too premature, if we must live with a new package and brand name that does not really prominently feature Java, the best bet would be something that can be clearly positioned as an "improvement".

The key could be standardization through an existing body with some standardization credibility such as ISO, ECMA or OASIS. In particular I would imagine the OASIS folks would be pretty receptive. I fear a net new standards body or consortium will have the least to offer in terms of business or technical credibility. In fact even the JCP is weak in this regard even after years of effort to change industry perceptions.

-------- Original message --------
From: will.lyons@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 1/8/18 6:24 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: ee4j-community@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ee4j-community] Some guidelines for Maintenance Releases (MRs) of Java EE 8 Specifications

I agree with Bill's replies.

Here is what the EE4J FAQ says about the javax.* namespace:

Will EE4J use javax package names?
We recognize this is important to compatibility. We have not yet formalized the plan, but we intend to enable use of existing javax package names to provide compatibility. We also intend to enable extension of existing javax namespaces (e.g. javax.servlet.*) to provide continuity and enable evolution of existing APIs. Our current expectation is that net new packages will use a different namespace naming convention.

Will