Re: [ee4j-community] EE4J Project for annotation scanning?

On 2017-11-30 12:41 PM, Markus KARG wrote:
As the name implies, EE4J is targeting *enterprise* applications, while annotation scanning is useful in other areas (desktop, mobile, games, etc.), too. Hence it would make more sense to open a JEP at OpenJDK. It could become part of Java SE then.

Greg,

As much as would love to say that EE4J is the place to host a project of like this, your original email states that the goal is to specify interfaces "... that may eventually be proposed as new API for a future JVM. "

As far as I know, the place to work on code that is going into the Java standard JVM is OpenJDK, via the JEP process. Or if you want to focus on spec first, rather than code then perhaps propose a JSR at the JCP. It could even be possible to have a JSR with a reference implementation at Eclipse Jetty or Eclipse OpenJ9. But to be blunt that could get in the way of actually getting the work included in a future Java release. I'm personally not aware of newly specified APIs getting into Java SE where the reference implementation is hosted any place other than OpenJDK. (I would be happy to be told I am wrong about that.)

If the OpenJDK community says that they have no interest in including anything like this in a future release of Java SE, then it might make sense to bring it to EE4J to at least make it available to the EE community.

Sorry for a rambling reply. I hope that all makes sense.

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top