Re: [ee4j-community] Help Pick the New Name for Java EE

On 2017-11-21 2:37 PM, Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
+1. The list is full of names starting with Java which are already out. But there are also names that *contain* the Java word, which use is a bit unclear.

Some hint on that would be useful.

Here is the basic rule as it has been explained to me. As a reminder, I am not a lawyer.

You can use "Java" only in a context that would be considered fair use under trademark law. Generally speaking the safest way to do that is to follow the "...for Java" pattern that you see in the EE4J name ("Eclipse Enterprise for Java").

So any name that starts with Java is a no-go.
Any name that embeds Java within it is a no-go.
A name that ends in Java is almost certainly a no-go unless it follows that "...for Java" pattern.

I think it is generally accepted that you can use the letter "J", as long as you don't imply that it stands for Java (e.g. IntelliJ, jClarity).

There is no rule that says if the name includes "...for Java" that you have to use "4J" in the acronym. So if we had wanted to we have have used EEJ instead of EE4J when we named the top-level project.

HTH

--
Mike Milinkovich
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx