Re: [ee4j-community] Eclipse Jetty and EE4J

While I agree that having a single RI has drawbacks, there's also a big problem if we go without a single RI – complexity for beginners.

Currently, if people want to start with JavaEE they tart with Glassfish as the RI. Most tutorials for beginners use Glassfish. It makes sense because newcomers like to have consistency and they tend to perceive JavaEE as a framework ready to be used instead of a common set of specs. For them, it's hard to understand between specs and implementations.

I think it's safer to retain a single RI as a reference for newcomers until we find a better way to make the platform user-friendly. As Steve Millidge, the CEO of Payara explained, Glassfish still has it's value as the RI and Payara Server doesn't aspire to replace it. In some way, It's good that Glassfish isn't supported in production and no vendor is behind it.

What's not good is that Glassfish, while a great app server with lots of added value, provides a lot more than what's standardized. The RI in my view should contain only the necessary minimum and be modular and pluggable so that it can be easily reused, either as a whole or its components.

If we decide to go with just any or more RIs, then we should also specify basic behavior like app deployment, maven project setup, configuration of standard resources so that all RIs behave the same and the only difference for newcomers is a different maven dependency. Anything more complex is a pain for starters. I would like to avoid any fragmentation of elementary learning resources.

Ondro