From:        Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        Eclipse Planning Council private list <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        05.10.2017 17:35
Subject:        Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Simultaneous ReleaseBrainstorming
Sent by:        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Mikaël Barbero
<mikael.barbero@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No worries, it was way too abstruse.
>
> You said that we could convert update releases to normal releases, but we
> should probably allow breakage in only one or two. Then, what is the
> difference between an update release and a normal release where breakage is
> not allowed?

Update releases currently contain only backported fixes(and rarely new
features/apis)  for most of the lower level projects in the release
train. So projects higher in the stack were not able to use/rely on
these new features for a year while doing their update releases. By
having normal releases for the whole release train we will get
whatever is developed in the lower level projects available in every
release much like it is now for some of the projects like Mylyn/EGit.
Now, nothing from the new development in SWT/Equinox/Platform...
Photon development is available to rest of the projects in the release
train as they do Oxygen.x contributions so practically most projects
move to newer dependencies only after they release their .2 release.
With the new plan this would happen every 3 months as every project
will contribute their new version often (if they have one) and not
keeping new content away from users for months (Jul-Mar) like it
happens now.

--
Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team