Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Does Simultaneous release mean that we release on the same day

I think David's comments covered this well (as usual). There are cases where this can work fine. For example projects like JGit and Jetty which have little or no external dependencies can certainly get away with this. The key point is that everyone continue testing up to the combined release, and a project that released early might need to be open to spinning a new release in June to react to upstream or downstream bugs. I would expect this to be the exception rather than the norm though.  I don't know anything about soa.bpel so I can't comment on whether that case makes sense.

John

Wayne Beaton <emo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/23/2012 09:48 PM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-planning-council"        <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[eclipse.org-planning-council] Does Simultaneous release mean that        we release on the same day

In my mind, "simultaneous release" means that projects all release at the same time (i.e. the same day).

Several projects opt to do releases in advance of the actual simultaneous release and basically just coast into the simultaneous release date. I find this a little weird.

soa.bpel comes to mind as a for-instance. They did their 1.0 release/graduation on May 2/2012.

Does anybody else think that this is weird? Do I just need to get over it?

Wayne

--
Wayne Beaton
The Eclipse Foundation