Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Notes from today's meeting ... and a request to those not there ...

In the current development process, "project" just means "code with a unique set of committers" (a distinct Unix ACL). Any component that has a different set of committers from its container is now technically a project. However we don't generally call out all these nested projects, especially in this high-level planning context. For example there is a "platform releng core" sub-project of Eclipse Platform, because the release engineering team owns some tools that only they have commit rights to, but from a planning point of view it's not particularly relevant. Most sub-sub projects are "rolled up" and just treated as parts of some larger project for planning and release purposes. I think the granularity we are aiming for is one row == one plan == one set of docuware == one collection of code that is built together and contributed to helios as a unit == one contact person (both releng and lead). Perhaps this will still be vague/unclear in some cases but I'm not sure how else to express it...

John

Oisin Hurley <oisin.hurley@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/04/2009 09:54 AM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-planning-council"        <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Notes from today's meeting ... and        a request to those not there ...

> And Oisin, ...
>
> > On another topic, the mention of "sub-sub-projects" is a little worrying,
> > after all, how far do the turtles go down? They used to go down just one
> > level, now they go down three?
>
> I would like to jokingly reply "where have you been"? :)
> But, the fact that you don't know, speaks sadly to how confusing the dev. process is.
> But yes. You can have projects in projects in projects ....

Ok, but just because project X 'lives in' project Y, does that mean it
is a sub-project? Maybe it's just a project. I guess the confusion I
have is whether codebase location is what the 'sub' means, or does
it have a different meaning.

Anyway. For some reason it is not as worrying to me now as it
was when I penned those words :)

--oh