Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Fragility of the XML project plan

Since you never mention WTP or the WTP XML editor, I'm wondering if you are using our WTP XML editor?
It will normally catch errors like this.

If you are using it already, then I'd suggest, in order
a: make sure the XML Editor is being used by default (best to use "open with ..." and pick it explicitly.
b: check your preferences (under "Validation") and make sure validation of xml files is not turned off. (There's both workspace and project level settings).
c: open a bug with a sample of XML that shows the problem and we'll take a look. There are some cases (such as in xsl files or html or jsps or CDATA sections) where we can not always spot correct or incorrect structure ... but, I think these planning documents were designed to be pure XML?

Thanks,

Inactive hide details for "CLONINGER ERIC-DCP874" ---01/16/2009 02:08:42 PM---I made some changes to the my XML project plan th"CLONINGER ERIC-DCP874" ---01/16/2009 02:08:42 PM---I made some changes to the my XML project plan this morning based on our recent release. I ran the v

"CLONINGER ERIC-DCP874" <ericc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

01/16/2009 02:08 PM

[eclipse.org-planning-council] Fragility of the XML project plan

Sent by:

eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I made some changes to the my XML project plan this morning based on our recent release. I ran the validator in Eclipse Ganymede and it showed no problems.

When I uploaded the file and it became live a few minutes later, my project plan would no longer render. http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=dsdp.tml This isn't the first time this has happened, and I remembered that Firefox has a better validator than Eclipse. I loaded the XML into Firefox and it showed that the problem was an unmatched paragraph end (</p>) element in one of the sections (cut/paste error) text. Removing the extra element and uploading solved the problem. I accept full responsibility for breaking my project plan. It was my edit and upload that caused the problem. I will make certain to use Firefox to validate my XML instead of Eclipse in the future.

However, several thoughts come to mind...
    1. Does the XML renderer on eclipse.org understand the difference in severity between an unmatched paragraph element and completely malformed XML? I'm not an XML guru, but I have more than a passing familiarity. I would think the parser/renderer could be a little more lenient on non-catastrophic errors. At least give an error message in the output instead of just a blank frame.
    2. If Firefox can find the error, shouldn't we have the same ability in Eclipse?
Thanks

--
Eric Cloninger
Sr. Product Manager, MOTODEV Studio