RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] A suggested topic for PlanningCouncil Discussion

Mike,

We don't have a bar for measuring quality objectively so that makes setting
a bar for that extremely difficult.  How could we measure this and wouldn't
some mature projects fall below this bar?

I also don't think it's reasonable to assume that incubating things have
low quality nor to assume they have CQs that we must cut back on; mature
projects seem to generate an awful lot of CQs all on their own.

I very much share your sense of concern about quality but I see no solution
for policing it.  Peer pressure is the only viable solution I've heard so
far.   Given resource from the foundation itself, e.g.,for testing or
usability analysis, I'm sure a lot more could be accomplished, but if that
resource is already streched just by the IP load, that doesn't seem a
viable alternative either.  I think we're all ears for solutions...

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 313)

             "Mike
             Milinkovich"
             <mike.milinkovich                                          To
             @eclipse.org>             "'eclipse.org-planning-council'"
             Sent by:                  <eclipse.org-planning-council@eclip
             eclipse.org-plann         se.org>
             ing-council-bounc                                          cc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council]
             11/01/2007 03:55          A suggested topic for
             PM                        PlanningCouncil Discussion

             Please respond to
             mike.milinkovich@
               eclipse.org;
             Please respond to
             "eclipse.org-plan
               ning-council"
             <eclipse.org-plan
             ning-council@ecli
                 pse.org>

Doug, Doug, Ed, et al,

What you are suggesting is an even lower bar than what we have had in the
past. At least on paper, if not in practice.

The problem with this approach is it means that the release trains just get
bigger and bigger and with no incremental improvement in the overall
quality of what?s coming from Eclipse. Shipping a big bag of stuff that
doesn?t work together is not going to help us build a reputation for
quality. It will destroy it. And once you have destroyed a reputation for
quality, it can take a generation (e.g. ~20 years) to get it back, if ever.

As a purely practical matter, I honestly doubt that the Eclipse Foundation
as the IP resources to review and approve all the CQs to ship 30 projects
on the same day. So if you guys don?t come up with some rules that raise
the bar and limit who has the process maturity and quality to get in, don?t
get mad at me for making rude and arbitrary decisions J

I completely understand that what you?re recommending is the simplest and
easiest approach. But IMHO (a) it?s the wrong thing to do for the Eclipse
community and (b) it is unlikely to work in practice.

Mike Milinkovich
Office: +1.613.224.9461 x228
Mobile: +1.613.220.3223
mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx