RE: [cross-project-issues-dev] RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] eclipse.org server usage patte rnsversus new innovative tools

Doug,

This certainly seems to be a containable solution that would effectively
make everyone happy by providing all possible alternatives with only
minimal changes.  Of course I don't have to hook up the form, so who am I
to speak of minimal work?!

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

             Doug Schaefer
             <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Cross project issues
             eclipse.org-plann         <cross-project-issues-dev@eclipse.o
             ing-council-bounc         rg>, "eclipse.org-planning-council"
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx            <eclipse.org-planning-council@eclip
                                       se.org>
                                                                        cc
             10/03/2007 03:11          emo@xxxxxxxxxxx,
             PM                        eclipse.org-planning-council-bounce
                                       s@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: [cross-project-issues-dev] RE:
             "eclipse.org-plan         [eclipse.org-planning-council]
               ning-council"           eclipse.org server usage patte
             <eclipse.org-plan         rnsversus new innovative tools
             ning-council@ecli
                 pse.org>

Having a web interface so that I don't have to fire up Thunderbird to check
the forums would help me a lot.

And it would ease getting people involved since they don't need to invest
in
the decision of which thick client to use to access them.

And we can enforce a log-in system on forums so that guests can't post
their
spam.

Doug

P.S. And, zx, don't get me started on the SVN wars...

http://www.eclipse.org/search/search.cgi?cmd=Search%21&form=extended&wf=57

4a74&ps=10&m=all&t=5&ul=%2Fnewslists%2Fnews.eclipse.tools.emf&wm=wrd&t=New
> s&t=Mail
>
> Would a forms-based way to posting to the newsgroup perhaps solve the
> problem?
>
> Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
> mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
> 905-413-3265  (t/l 969)
>

>              Doug Schaefer
>              <DSchaefer@xxxxxx
>              m>
>              Sent by:                  "eclipse.org-planning-council"
>              eclipse.org-plann
<eclipse.org-planning-council@eclip
>              ing-council-bounc         se.org>, Cross project issues
>              es@xxxxxxxxxxx
<cross-project-issues-dev@eclipse.o
>                                        rg>, Denis Roy
>                                        <denis.roy@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike
>              10/03/2007 02:48          Milinkovich
>              PM                        <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
>                                        emo@xxxxxxxxxxx

cc
>              Please respond to
>              "eclipse.org-plan
Subject
>                ning-council"           RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council]
>              <eclipse.org-plan         eclipse.org server usage patte
>              ning-council@ecli         rnsversus new innovative tools
>                  pse.org>
>

> +1 on hating newsgroups. I have received negative feedback on them from
> people. I for one have a low appreciation for them. I spend a lot of my
> time in e-mails and would prefer to get more immediate notice of traffic
> on
> our newsgroup. Otherwise, I don?t go check.
>
> I think it would be a huge help to the community if we had the now
> standard
> on-line forums instead similar to what exists on SourceForge. Then people
> can choose to monitor them and get e-mails when traffic occurs. They are
> much more searchable too and people can create links to topics from
> outside. They?re all good.
>
> BTW, I?m becoming a big fan of Drupal for website management (I?ve just
> starting using it for Wascana). It has a Forums module (which I seen but
> haven?t tried yet).
>
> But, yeah, that?s pretty off topic?
>
> Doug Schaefer, QNX Software Systems
> Eclipse CDT Project Lead, http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com