Re: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Agenda for 5/23 Europa call

Regarding the help TOC  issues, this information from Dejan may help

Dejan Glozic/Toronto/IBM

05/22/2007 06:00 PM

Kim Moir/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
cc
Subject
Grouping Europe Help books

Kim,

I am sending this to you hoping that somehow this will find its way to the right Europe people.

When you open the current online Eclipse help for Callisto, the help books seem randomly organized (for example, EMFT books are scattered across the TOC view). Since 3.2, Help has a mechanism to group books into named categories so that sibling books stay together. The following page documents how to define categories when defining TOCs:

http://help.eclipse.org/help32/topic/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/reference/extension-points/org_eclipse_help_toc.html

If all Europa help plug-ins define categories for each TOC, the sibling TOCs will stay together and we would avoid the EMFT scenario.

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

Bjorn Freeman-Benson <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/23/2007 12:14 AM

Please respond to
"eclipse.org-planning-council"        <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"eclipse.org-planning-council" <eclipse.org-planning-council@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[eclipse.org-planning-council] Agenda for 5/23 Europa call

Schedule:
  • http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Europa_Simultaneous_Release#Milestones_and_Release_Candidates
  • We're trying to roll out Europa RC0 - Bjorn is trying to find a work-around for pack200 / digest / update manager bugs
  • Then we're supposed to be working Europa RC1 this week. The +1 day is 5/23 (will be "today" on the call). The +2 date is Friday.
  • After that is  1 1/2 weeks of RC2. And then one week for RC3. And so on. The schedule is tightening down and there are still a disappointing number of obvious bugs that even a keyboard monkey like myself can find.
  • Because we are moving rapidly into the end game here where quick turn around on problems and fixes is essential, I need to be able to contact all the relevant project leads and release engineers. The Threat: I've said this before and I'll say it again: Europa will be going out on-time even if it has to exclude some +2 projects. In other words, if there is a build problem at the last minute and I do not have a way to contact the build engineer and/or the project lead to remedy that problem, I will remove the broken project(s) (just as I did tonight, removing DTP from RC0a because DTP broke the build). Thus please send me the contact information (mobile phone, email address, IM handles, skype handles, the whole nine-yards) for the person who will be responsible for the next month and a week.
    • Please email these contact details to me in a separate message - please do NOT reply to this email message because if you do you will broadcast those personal details to the world and they will be published for spammers in the mail archives.
    • Please resend this information to me if you think I already have it. Better safe than not in Europa, eh?
    Cross Project Testing:
    • David did some initial testing and found some bugs with WTP.
    • I did some quick load-and-click testing with all the projects loaded and found more bugs.
    Bugs: in addition to your project specific bugs, these are fairly obvious fit-and-finish bugs with loading individual or groups of projects:
    • 186506 - WTP feature pre-reqs
    • 187975 - Two version of installed feature
    • 188375 - Very slow response time in update manager
    • 188518 - Buckminster doesn't install from Europa update site
    • 188519 - STP doesn't install from Europa update site.
    • 188520 - DLTK start-up error
    • 170160 and 188523 - Mylar and JST PageDesigner shortcut key conflicts
    • 188524 - Mylar error on startup
    • 188525 - ECF help system stack dump
    • 188526 - Eclipsemonkey activation errors
    • 188527 - TPTP activation errors
    • 188535 - UML2 activation error
    • 188536 - JDT Debug activation error
    • 188539 - CDT cheat sheet activation errors
    • 188540 - Modeling cheat sheet activation errors
    • 188546 - RSE help files missing
    • 188548 - Platform help file missing
    • 188549 - WTP/JPT help files missing
    • 188551 - AJDT help files missing
    • 188553 - Platform keyboard shortcut conflicts
    and our old friends:
    • 187396 - jarPackager creating zero length files and other corruption although I've installed various work-arounds in the Europa-matic (it how edits the digest.xml to fix the missing space and it deletes zero-length gz files; hacks, but it's the best I can do)
    • 187979 - a related issue with corrupted packed files
    Other statii:
    • Janet feels 85% confident that all the known IP issues can be resolved prior to the release date. That's good news.
    • The packaging project status is unknown. Their newsgroup doesn't say much. Their mailing list doesn't say much. Their web page doesn't say much. There's a proposal for a download page that includes packages but I'd say it's 50-50 at best that there will be packages.
    Interesting facts:
    • Help has 37 top-level entries in the table of contents.
      • They are not alphabetized and many do not have an obvious user context. For example "Using the Managed Agent Explorer" isn't going to make much sense to a user unless they already know what a Managed Agent is.
      • I didn't see any obvious conflicts in context menus, i.e., no duplicate "Run.." menu items or such. There are a number of somewhat confusing items in the context menus - perhaps they make sense when the Europa projects are loaded individually but when they are all loaded together the inconsistencies show up.
      Must dos (Mn) and should dos (Sn):
      • (M4) STP is not using four-part version numbers
      • (M9) We haven't taken names on the calls, but many projects have not been showing up for the (brief) Europa coordination calls.
      • (M11) Send the release engineer contact information to Bjorn (bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx)
      • (M14) AJDT, Buckminster, CDT, and GEF are missing ramp down policies on the wiki page.
      I urge everyone to work on testing their project with all the projects loaded.

      - Bjorn