RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] RE: Europa and UM bugs

I’m far more comfortable having the full text of the license available.  It clearly establishes that the text of the license was made available and avoids the added concern that a URL may be broken.

Thanks,

Janet

From: Oberhuber, Martin [mailto:Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 12:03 PM
To: eclipse.org-planning-council; Janet Campbell
Subject: RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] RE: Europa and UM bugs

Thanks for the explanation, Bjorn.

I guess my main concern is that when feature X

includes feature Y (or Orbit bundle Z etc) and

that feature Y or bundle Z changes its contents

or version of license, all the features

which include it must be changed.

But I guess that in realilty that's true also now,

one would need to change the URLs. In the future,

the URLs and the full text.

So the remaining concern is that it blows up

feature.properties (and digest.zip) with

duplicates of text that no one really reads,

and is also available in the bundle's about_files

directories.

IMHO the value of a verbatim copy of license

text is that it's archived with the respective release

and thus available even if a product is retired and

the license's online URL is gone. That's achieved

through the about_files folder in the bundles. But

for the Update Manager's click-through licenses, I'd

think that a reference to live text on a URL

should be sufficient.

But of course, Janet's the boss here, my main

concern of maintainance is (mostly) gone and

I'll happily adopt the legal requirements once they

are clarified.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber