[eclipse.org-planning-council] Planning Council Meeting in Chicago

Planning Council Members,
As you know, the Q2 council meetings are being held in Chicago at the Hotel Allegro (www.allegrochicago.com). The schedule will be:
  • Tuesday (June 27th) evening - group dinner at at the 312 Chicago Restaurant.
  • Wednesday (June 28th) morning - plenary session with all three Councils and the entire Board
  • Thursday - planning council meeting
  Tuesday 27 Wednesday 28 Thursday 29
am Requirements
(room: Joffrey Ballet)
Plenary w/ Board
(Steppenwolf A)
Planning
(Lyric Opera A)
pm Architecture
(Lyric Opera B)
eve Group Dinner
(Restaurant 321 (on-site))

The agenda for the Planning Council is six items (thanks especially to Tyler for helping flesh it out):
  • Callisto.
    You all are/will be done with Callisto on the 28th. However, we will still have a couple items to discuss:
    • How/when to make the final "final bits" announcement.
    • Process for writing up the acknowledgments page similar to the Platform 3.1 page (thanks to Kim for the suggestion).
    • Reminder that you should turn in your final full Release Review slide decks for posting.
    • How are we going to handle dot releases? Are we going to have Callisto-dot releases or is each project just going to do their own? Should we sync up on a schedule? Will we use the same update site?
    • Some retrospective on the Callisto experience - the good, the bad, and the we'll-be-better-next-time
  • Europa.
    Callisto has been/will be a great success. We'll probably want to do this again next year. I've arbitrarily chosen "Europa" for next year's code name (because it's the next easiest to pronounce major moon of Jupiter :-) - feel free to vote on the naming bug if you wish. While we might not want to do all the planning for Europa at this meeting, I think we should at least "plan to make a plan" for Europa. We can talk a bit about the must/should rules, a bit about coordinating builds, synchronizing schedules, etc. Issues that have been brought up include:
    • Milestone and release candidate dates?
    • End game plan?
    • Build system integrations (RSS feeds, etc)? Common build system?
    • Rules (like these)?
    • Perhaps step up our goal from just simultaneous release to stronger cross-project compatibility?
  • EclipseCon 2007.
    The program committee for EclipseCon 2007 will include you all. Basically, it just makes sense for the experts on each project (that's you) to choose the tutorials, long talks, short talks, and demos for that project. Each major Eclipse project PMC will be given a set of slots - you can recruit content, you can choose from submitted content, etc. Anyway, I'll explain the rationale for this and your role in the process.
  • Eclipse Standard Charter
    New top-level projects have been using the Eclipse Standard Charter v1.0. Tyler has suggested some improvements and I haven't been proactive about bringing it up at meetings so... let's talk about it. I'd like to ask Tyler to circulate his suggestions to the mailing list so that we have them in advance of the meeting. The goal is to come up with a v1.1 that existing top-level projects would be happy to adopt.
  • Third-Party Dependencies and EMO Processes
    To quote Tyler: "These [Callisto 3rd-party dependency conflicts] highlight the need for improvements in our processes and transparency for handling 3rd-party components (many of which have been requested previously..." I know that Janet is working to provide better service from Eclipse Legal, but let's be proactive and write up a nice list of project-lead-happiness requirements for her and her team.
  • Cross-Council Communication
    We're all pleased at how effective the Planning Council has become in the pursuit of Callisto and it would be good to extend that effectiveness to intra-council interactions. Requirements <-> Planning, Planning <-> Architecture, and even Council <-> Board. What can we recommend/do to improve these communications and make the whole organization more effective?
Look forward to seeing you there...
Bjorn

P.S. The next Council meetings will be in Stuttgart Oct 11-12 in conjunction with our first Eclipse Summit Europe.

Back to the top