RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Callisto RC1 conference call12-Apr(today)

I think it is 9am pdt starting this meeting.

wenfeng

From: eclipse.org-planning-council-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Tim Wagner
Sent: Wed 4/12/2006 8:24 AM
To: eclipse.org-planning-council
Subject: RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Callisto RC1 conference call12-Apr(today)

Did I get the day/time wrong? It’s 8:15am PDT on April 12th, which is what it says on http://www.eclipse.org/projects/callisto.php, but I don’t hear anyone else on the call.

In lieu of a call, my answers via email:

  • RC0 status from each project. WTP is on track. Some bugs have been noted in our validators, but that won’t preclude us being ready and testable as part of Callisto.
  • Update Site. Yes, and my understanding is that we are using the staging site as intended.
  • RC1. Yes and no; yes in the sense that WTP doesn’t have a separate RC1 production/rampdown timeframe; no in the sense that we cannot pick up the RC1 release from the platform the same day it is produced, and will have to absorb it later, in preparation for RC2. That’s probably a flaw in our Callisto RC planning.
  • RC2 status from each project. This is an excellent question. W.r.t. rampdown policies, WTP is shifting into bug fix/rampdown mode (no new features, no major implementation changes, focus on bug fixing, etc.) on 4/28. However, we do need internal alignment with the platform or risk being “one off” as we are for RC0/RC1 right now. Can the platform rampdown a few days early?
  • Ramp Down Policy from each project. See http://www.eclipse.org/projects/callisto.php for WTP’s policies.
  • Bug Contest. WTP has received only one entry to date, and the WTP PMC voted to declare it “good” and I emailed it to Ward & Bjorn yesterday. As to why more people aren’t participating…I suspect that on the project teams, everyone is at/above 100% working on their “own stuff” and have no additional bandwidth, and outside the project teams the contest/Callisto/milestone releases are not well enough known. Perhaps a link on the download site for the Eclipse Project itself to the bug contest to catch folks who normally download milestone from there and don’t know about Callisto? I’ve advertised inside my company (not to much effect) FWIW.

Finally, a word on testing in the context of Callisto: Sadly, not much progress to report, other than some anecdotal work by a few people who’ve tried it. I’m hoping that once we get to the rampdown we can institute the approach for WTP that we talked about on these calls: alternating (by person or time period) between testing WTP standalone vs in the context of Callisto. This remains the single biggest risk factor in my mind, and changing behavior/culture to include the idea of testing within the context of a new release vehicle is proving to be a challenge.