Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] early birdselectionprocess

Ok so I am getting a little depressed here that everyone is getting a vacation but never mind :-)

Ok so the Google Doc thing that we did last year is like:

- I pull a CSV and put it up on Google Docs
- everyone gets invited to edit it
- we divide the PC in 4 groups for EclipseCon talks (2 people in each group)
- divide the session in 4 groups and give it too one PC group
- session are not divided by any topic but arbitrary
- initial telco 0 to introduce the spreadsheet and talk about it
- in the first round we sort out the talks that should have NOT been submitted in the first place (-1, 0 +1)
-- bad content
-- product advertising
-- one sentence abstract (this happens believe me)
-- speaker that we have a strong opinion about being a bad speaker
- 1. telco is to sort out the sessions where the two PC reps don't agree (and there are sometimes cases, where they have opposite opinion)
- the rest of the sessions are reviewed by everyone (remember you already reviewed 25 % of the sessions so that is less work)
- encourage speakers to supply more details in the abstract to help us convince they should be in the program
- reviewing all sessions if you do it properly can take up to one of work
- we give votes from 0 to 10
- 2. telco is to sort out if the spread between the best vote and to lowest is too wide and we discuss why that is so
- It gets a lot clearer which talk is rejected
-- speak up for talks that are on the rejection list but should be in the program
-- talk about shorting talks to get more sessions in the program
- talk about that every category (modeling, runtime etc.) gets enough talks, that there is a balance in whole program

- in general nobody should vote about his own sessions or sessions from a collegue
- telco 0 would be on the 6th, and then 13th and 20th
- I want EVERYBODY on board on the 20th. (or we move it another date) that is an important date.....
- I want as many as possible on the other telcos
- early bird selection is next week, please have a look at the current sessions by tomorrow and suggest something on the mailing list
- people who absolutly cant make it on Monday, can submit their top-5 list on the mailing list
- as Achim suggest I like the idea of only voting for standard talks, I am willing to throw in one tutorial if its compelling
- that last "telco 2"  lasted around 4-5 hours last time (doesn't have to be the same this time, but its time consuming since we finalizing the program here)

Not sure about the OSGi content, but I think that we should keep and do them separate. Not sure what you think Susan. But I thought the OSGi Community Event has its own track and basically you and BJ and Alisa would make your round to select the talks for the OSGi Community Event. I don't mind at all if you are on the telcos but I think it saves you a lot of time if you basically go only through the OSGi submissions and select what you want from them. Or did rather want everybody to vote on everything ? I am happy to help or get involved if that is something you want me to do.
But I think it makes sense to keep the selection process separate since I assume that you don't have that much of a strong opinion about EMF vs GMF (as an example) and I have no idea what is hot and cooking for the OSGi community event.

Thoughts, opinions ?

christian